Tandoori Chicken Club Sandwich
If you love chicken tandoori, you’re gonna go nuts over this tandoori chicken club sandwich. Crispy toasted bread, encasing spicy, succulent tandoori chicken, creamy, roasted green chili sauce, and fresh, crunchy veggies.
You’ll be amazed how something this easy can taste this good!
The star ingredient is not only the perfectly smoked tandoori chicken, but also the roasted green chili sauce- which makes this sandwich mindblowing-kinda-good.
If I could eat one sandwich for the rest of my life, it would have to be this one.
It is hands down my favorite!
And my family’s too…
And pretty much anyone who tries it.
Let’s face it…
Club sandwiches will always reign supreme over regular sandwiches.
Speaking of club sandwiches, I’m even fond of a good grilled vegetable club sandwich…
but this one…
there’s no topping it!
Crusty toasted bread, sandwiching an oozy layer of sauce and cheese, spicy tandoori chicken adding the burst of flavor…the crunchy veggies adding a variety of textures…
One bite and you’ll never choose another club sandwich over this.
What is a Club sandwich?
Like a regular club sandwich, you have stacked layers of fillings between slices of bread, toasted, cut into quarters and then secured with a toothpick/cocktail stick.
Club sandwiches have been around for generations and are also known as clubhouse sandwiches.
Basically, what makes it stand apart from other sandwiches is an extra slice of bread acting as a separator between fillings.
A classic club sandwich is made with white bread and contains chicken, ham or turkey, lettuce and tomatoes, and mayonnaise as the sauce.
It is served is almost every restaurant, so it’s safe to say every one has developed their own version of it.
About Tandoori Chicken Club Sandwich
Tandoori chicken sandwich is a Pakistani-style club sandwich. It contains the ever-loved smoked tandoori chicken pieces, spiced to perfection.
Among the infamous snacks and appetizers in Pakistan, desi style club sandwiches are almost always on this list.
This sandwich is a merger of my favorite chicken club sandwich and chicken tikka sandwich.
It is inspired by a tandoori club sandwich recipe by chef Shireen Anwar.
Hands down the best tandoori chicken sandwich recipe out there. Loaded with chicken, veggies and cheese and a homemade mayonnaise sauce…
So appetizing! So filling!
your taste buds will do a happy dance 🙂
Why I love this Tandoori Chicken Club Sandwich Recipe
- Super easy to put together
- Tastes amazing
- Has a fantastic presentation- a scrumptiously stacked beauty!
- Perfect as a make-ahead item. The sauce and sauce can easily be prepared ahead of time, or the whole sandwich and you can grill it at the time of serving.
- Can be served pretty much any time…sudden craving snack or in a party platter!
- Fairly quick
- Beginner friendly
- Kid friendly recipe (as long as you reduce the spice level!)
- No fancy ingredients needed
- Customizable: meaning you can swap out any ingredient with any other of your choice.
INGREDIENTS FOR TANDOORI CHICKEN SANDWICH
To make a good tandoori club sandwich, you really only need some basic ingredients:
1) ROASTED GREEN CHILI SAUCE
- Mayonnaise (I use Heinz)
- Garlic clove, minced (Or use garlic powder instead)
- Green chilies (spicy and non-spicy)
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Salt (I usually do not add salt here, because mayonnaise is already has it. Taste and add if you desire)
- Freshly cracked black pper
- Roasted and crushed cumin seeds
If you do not have time to make this sauce, I have also given substitute sauce options in this post.
2) TANDOORI CHICKEN BOTI
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or chicken tender breasts or thighs for juicier chicken )
- Garlic paste
- Lemon juice as needed
- Red chili powder
- Black pepper
- Whole spice powder
3) TO ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICH
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced Cucumber
- Lettuce (optional)
- Processed cheese slices: or any of your favorite cheese
- Bread slices: White bread is most popularly used in club sandwiches. You may use brown, rye, sourdough or whole wheat bread.
- Butter or garlic butter to grill: gives a nice flavor and a beautiful golden crust
HOW TO MAKE TANDOORI CLUB SANDWICH
Before you make this tandoori club sandwich, let me walk you through the steps.
1) HOW TO MAKE ROASTED GRILLED CHILI SAUCE
- First, roast your green chilies, either in a frying pan or airfryer. I prefer airfryer most of the time.
- Then throw all the sauce ingredients into your food processor and process till well combined and smooth
- Keep aside
2) HOW TO MAKE TANDOORI CHICKEN BOTI
- Marinate your chicken with seasonings for 15 minutes before cooking. You can marinate for longer if you have time. Marination gives you a soft, juicy and flavorful chicken.
- Cook on high flame till done
- Keep aside
3) HOW TO ASSEMBLE TANDOORI SANDWICH
- Slice up you veggies
- Line up the bread slices, stack the fillings, and grill to perfection!
WHEN CAN YOU SERVE CLUB SANDWICHES?
- Road trips
- Tea Time Snack
- School lunch box item
- Office lunch box item
- Simply when you can’t decide what to cook for dinner!
- Potlucks (Yes! Using club sandwich quarters, you can even make a colorful and festive platter for parties and potlucks.)
Add Ons For Club Sandwiches
If your kids are picky, club sandwiches are a great way to hide away all the veggies – with all that flavor going around they won’t even notice!
- Sliced Boiled Eggs
- Whole fry egg
- Colorful cabbage
- Bell peppers or sweet peppers
- Avocado slices
- Zucchini slices
- Roasted sliced eggplant
- Shredded or sliced mozzarella
- Shredded or sliced Cheddar
- Cumbled Goat Cheese
- Gouda Cheese
- Colby Jack Cheese
- Emmental Cheese
- Monterey Jack
- Turkey slices
- Cooked turkey slices
- Sliced sausages
Where can you find club sandwiches?
Chicken club sandwiches are quite popular almost everywhere these days.
- Country clubs
Types of Club Sandwiches
- Zinger club sandwiches
- Paneer club sandwiches
- Cheese club sandwiches
- Vegetable club sandwiches
- Tikka club sandwiches
- Tuna club sandwich
- German club sandwich
- Classic BLT
TIPS FOR THE BEST CLUB SANDWICH
- Don’t rush the grilling process on the griddle. Remember, taking time and care with grilling the sandwich is the secret to a perfect golden crust and a crunchy bite.
- Slice the cucumber and tomatoes as thinly as you can.
- Use flavorful cheese.
- Place fancy toothpicks for a prettier presentation
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) How many pieces does this recipe make?
This recipe makes four full club sandwiches, so 16 quarters.
2) What can I use instead of roasted green chili sauce?
If you are in a rush and don’t want to make the roasted green chili sauce, just switch it up with any of these easy options:
|Mayonnaise||Mustard||Ketchup||Hollandaise Sauce||Garlic Aioli|
|Cheese Spread||Sriracha Sauce||Cream Cheese||White Sauce||Chipotle Sauce|
3)What side dishes go with tandoori club sandwiches?
A side of baked French fries or cold potato salad and you have the perfect little meal right there.
Here are some other side dish ideas that you can try:
- Tomato Soup
- Potato Chips
- Baked Beans
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Macaroni Salad
- Potato Soup
- Green Salad
- Onion Rings
- Roasted Veggies
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Potato Wedges
- Mashed Potatoes
- Chicken wings
4) Can I make this sandwich using leftover tandoori chicken?
Yes, definitely. If you have cooked chicken boneless pieces, then you can use them as they are. If you have whole chicken pieces (with bone) you can shred them.
5) How to make a low calorie club sandwich?
Incase you want to enjoy a low calorie tandoori club sandwich, that tastes amazing but without the extra calories, use these tips:
|INSTEAD OF||FOR LOW CALORIE OPTIONS, USE|
|Regular white bread||Reduced Calorie bread|
|Roasted green chili sauce||Use non-fat mayonnaise and skip the olive oil|
|Cheddar Cheese slices||use non-fat cheddar cheese slices or skip the cheese|
|Butter for grilling||Grill on a non-stick griddle without butter|
6) How do I store club sandwiches?
This makes 4 chicken tandoori sandwiches, so 16 small triangles. I’d say you won’t be left with leftovers, but if you do, just store in an air-tight box, and be sure to re-toast them. (I love using an electric toaster for reheating!)
7) Can I freeze club sandwiches?
This, I heard, IS possible, but I’ve never tried it. If you do, do let me know how to turns out!
8) Can I make this into a tandoori chicken panini?
Just leave the slice of bread that is in between the outer slices, and you’ve got a tandoori chicken panini!
9) Are club sandwiches served warm or cold?
They are mostly served warm, so toast before serving.
10) How can I prepare club sandwich in advance?
- You can marinate or cook the chicken in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Let it come to room temperature before you assemble.
- You can also prepare the sauce 2-3 days in advance
- You can assemble the sandwich early in the day, and toast on a grill pan at time of serving.
11) What can I use instead of tandoori chicken?
- Chicken tikka
- Shredded chicken
- Chicken burger patty
- Zinger chicken
- Grilled chicken
Check Out My Recent Posts
- Tandoori Chicken Club Sandwich
- Easy Pakistani Qalaqand Kheer
- Mini Dark Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies with Labneh Frosting
- Baked Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings
- Dark Chocolate Walnut Brownie Cupcakes with Crackly Tops
The best chicken tandoori club sandwich awaits you!
Tandoori Chicken Club Sandwich
FOR THE SAUCE
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 large non-spicy green chilies
- 3 spicy green chilies (reduce if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste (you may not need it)
- Freshly cracked pepper (to taste)
- ¼ tsp roasted and crushed cumin
FOR THE TANDOORI CHICKEN BOTI
- 300 grams Chicken breast, boneless and skinless (or chicken tenders)
- ¼ tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri Red chili powder (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Whole spice powder
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 tablespoon Yogurt
- Orange-red food color as desired
- 3 large Eggs
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Oil as needed
- 1-2 Cucumbers sliced
- 1-2 Tomatoes sliced
- Cheddar Cheese Slices
- Lettuce (optional)
- Butter (for grilling)
- 12 White bread slices
- To make tandoori chicken, chop chicken breast into very small pieces, and marinate with garlic paste, lemon juice, kashmiri red chili powder, black pepper, whole spice powder, oil and yogurt. Add orange-red color if desired. Leave for 15 minutes. Then on high flame, cook the chicken till done. Give coal smoke if desired.
- To make the omelette, whisk 3 large eggs in a bowl. Season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Make 4 omelettes and keep aside.
- To make the sauce, drizzle green chilies with oil and roast them in a frying pan, air fryer or oven, until browned. Stir as needed. If they splatter in a frying pan, cover with a lid. Once done, move to a food processor and blend with the remaining sauce ingredients.
- To assemble, spread sauce on one slice of bread, top with chicken and a cheese slice, spread sauce on 2nd slice of bread and place over the cheese slice. On top of 2nd slice, spread sauce again and layer sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and cooked omelette. Spread sauce on 3rd slice of bread and top the sandwich.
- To grill the sandwich, brush butter on a griddle at medium heat and place the sandwich. When golden and crisp, turn carefully and grill the other side. Move to a cutting board and cut each sandwich into 4 quarters. Secure with toothpicks or cocktail sticks. Serve hot.
chicken tandoori club sandwich # tandoori chicken club sandwich # tandoori chicken sandwich # tandoori club sandwich # pakistani style club sandwich # tandoori club sandwich shireen anwar # tandoori chicken panini # leftover tandoori chicken sandwich recipe # tandoori chicken sandwich recipe # chicken tandoori sandwich # pakistani club sandwich