Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Layers of sliced soft potatoes, flavorful chicken and creamy white sauce, topped with grated cheddar cheese, create the world’s best cheesy scalloped potatoes!
In other words? The. Ultimate. Comfort. Food.
This dish is similar to the classic French Au gratin, but with chicken and loads of flavors. The rich and creamy cheese sauce blankets the tender potatoes and creates a luxurious texture.
The spicy chickens adds an extra shot of flavor, and the crusty cheese topping is the happy ending to this hearty meal.
Making Creamy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
This scalloped potatoes recipe is as simple as it gets! You may use a mandolin slicer to cut the potatoes, to get even slices but I didn’t do that here.
In a baking dish, layer boiled potatoes, cooked chicken, white sauce, and then repeat the same for another layer. Finally, top with your choice of cheese.
Be generous with your cheesy toppings. No one ever said that’s too much cheese 🙂
Out of the oven: Just look at it! Such a beautifully golden brown, cheesy crust. It’s a thing of dreams, I tell you.
Dig in, who needs a plate anyway.
Which Cheese should I use?
I used cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese for the white sauce, but you may use any flavorful cheese (except mozzarella).
What do I serve cheesy scalloped potatoes with?
I love eating scalloped potatoes on their own, but you can serve it as a side to grilled chicken, stir-fry vegetables, kababs and steaks.
P.S. Try this amazing lotus biscoff lasagna for dessert!
Alright, let’s get to the recipe!
The Ultimate Comfort Food
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 2-3 tablespoons Oil
- 500 g Chicken boneless Chopped into tiny pieces
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Chicken powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon White pepper
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons Water
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
- 30 g butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour slightly heaped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ chicken stock cube
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup gouda cheese shredded
- 3½ tablespoons thick cream
FOR THE CHICKEN
- Heat oil in a pan, add chicken pieces, when chicken's color changes, add the remaining ingredients, fry for 5 minutes. Turn flame to low ,cover and cook for 10 minutes
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE
- Heat butter, add flour, mix till aroma comes. Remove from stove and whisk in milk gradually. Put it back on flame, add oregano, basil,chicken cube, salt and garlic powder. When sauce becomes just a little thick,add green chilies, shredded cheese, nutmeg and cream. Mix gently and turn off flame. Check flavoring, adjust if needed.
FOR THE POTATOES
- Take 3 medium potatoes, wash and cut them into thick slices.Cut potatoes in 1/4 inch slices then boil in water with some salt. Drain thepotatoes when they are cooked, don't overboil or they'll break.
- Place boiled potato slices in a large dish, top with some chicken and then put white sauce. Repeat the layers another time. Top with shredded red and yellow cheddar cheese, or any other cheese, if desired. Bake at 180°c preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- I used measuring spoons for this recipe
- Cook the sauce till it thickens enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon.
Did you try this recipe?
I would love to know how it turned out for you! 🙂 Leave a comment below and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #theovenist.
9 thoughts on “Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes”
this looks divine! going to try this soon.
OMG I can’t even pick they all look so good!
haha! thanks 😀
Wow! That’s looks so yummy very pleasing to the eye!
thank you Vinneve 🙂
Look so yummy! Enjoy!